Women in Engineering
Engineeering has traditionally been a male-dominated profession.
In a report prepared by Engineers Australia in 2017, 88% of all engineers in the workforce are men.
Of the women who graduate with engineering degrees, just over half work in the industry.
There are many benefits to having a gender diverse workforce and studies have shown that gender diversity leads to:
- Increased financial performance
- Better innovation and decision-making
- Better customer relations
- Reduction in staff turn-over
- Stronger corporate reputation
- Attraction of the best person for the job
- Increased employee satisfaction.
There are many organisations who are working to encourage gender-balance in the engineering profession